Wednesday, February 11, 2015

TEN APPLES UP ON TOP

Remember when you were young and you read children's books like The Very Hungry Caterpillar and The Cat in the Hat? What if those childhood stories came to life on TV, and you actually engaged to them while reading the book? That can now come true to some kids today.This quarter's project involves animating a simple storybook to life with movement. The book I chose to do was "Ten Apples Up On Top", by Theo LeSing. The interesting thing about the book is that it is considered a Dr. Seuss book because Theo LeSing is the actual name of Dr. Seuss. The reason why the author title is different is because he published this book to be illustrated by others, not by Dr. Seuss himself.


MAKING PROCESS

One of the first steps of mapping out the scenes for the project was to scan the book pages, and imagine what the characters would be doing. For example, on this page, the lion's feet are up and appear as if they are moving. I decided for this scene to integrate a walk cycle to the walking as he is walking to the tree.

The project is mostly hand drawn to keep the illustrated book drawings intact and feel as if the style hasn't changed a bit. All of the characters will be hand-drawn with Photoshop, and the backgrounds and other objects will be done in Illustrator. I chose to have the backgrounds in this programs because I haven't done much with Illustrator in the past, and decided to improve my skills on Illustrator.

Besides having the characters drawn in Photoshop, the main characters were also animated with sequential animation in order to give the characters natural movement that makes sense to young children. With there being limited time to make the story, the hand animation has to be simple and not very time consuming or complex. This challenge makes me rely on After Effects for a majority of the animation movements. 
Here are two gifs of my animations. The lion on the bottom is blinking as the dog walks towards him comparing the amount of apples on top they possess. I've also learned that from making these animations that coloring takes forever! Any artist can agree with that phrase, no matter what form of art they practice. But with this conflict, I feel comfortable relying on two programs as a way to simplify the animation.

AUDIO RECORDING


The voice present in any kind of audio file gives life to what is being visualized. Along with making the animation, I also had to record my own voice and follow the script (book) to narrate the story. Tone was included in the narration with crescendos during the climax of the story, and my slight attempt to make each character have their own voice- or sound like one group. The recording was done in one try, a mistake of mine for not being able to edit individual parts very well. Plus, while making my rough draft, I found out I had missed a few lines near the end (when my voice got tired of speaking) and realized I should've read the script carefully. 

ROUGH DRAFT


The rough draft was simply, a rough draft-full of imperfections. Like the rough draft, I was also full of imperfections while creating the animation. Each rough draft scene was pulled of from the book pages, and added in a camera for indicating when different shots would be placed. Most of the scenes, however, appeared as if they were wide screen. I fixed most of this by putting my focus on characters as they speak, or act. Parts of the setting were also introduced so a viewer may understand when the location of a scene changes. I also included zooming, panoramas, and other kinds of camera movements.

No comments:

Post a Comment